“Why do you always choose Dumaguete?” This is what my friend
Mae Ann asked me upon learning through my intagram post that I was spending the
long weekend in Dumaguete. My response was quick and simple, it is my happy
place.
My first trip to Dumaguete City was a little over three
years ago, in June 2011 to be exact. My roommate Allison and I flew in from
Manila for a quick weekend trip to celebrate Kokong’s birthday and I remember
getting attached to the place even before the first day of the trip was over. It has become my happy place since then and I
would try to schedule a visit at least once a year.
It’s not surprising for me to fall in love with the place.
Having been born and raised in a small town like Cotabato City, I am used to a
laid-back lifestyle that offers fresh home-cooked meals at a cheap price and
allows people to move from one place to another without having to endure hours
of traffic. Both of these are present in Dumaguete City plus several other
things that I consider “pre-requisites” hence this city would be my top pick
when I’m ready to leave the corporate life behind. (ooh big words!) But
seriously, I wouldn’t mind walking away from skyscrapers and condo-living to
settle down in Dumaguete and here’s why-
1.
Hassle-Free Transportation- Riding a tricycle is the most common means of commuting. Because of the narrow roads, it’s
also typical to see people riding scooters and small motorcycles to go around. Traffic is very minimal and even the airport is so close to the town proper that one
can go there by taking a tricycle.
2. Quality Education- Dumaguete City is the home of
Silliman University, the first American University that was established in Asia
and continues to be one of the top ranking universities in the Philippines in
spite of the fact that it’s not located in Metro Manila.
3.
Fresh Food- It’s a coastal city so residents
have easy access to fresh seafood that’s quite cheap. In my recent trip, I had
grilled squid and shrimps every single day for less than half of the price that
people would normally pay in Metro Manila.
4.
Peace and Order- It’s not nicknamed “City of
Gentle People” for nothing. Kokong even shared with me that during his college
days, he once fell asleep in one of the waiting sheds after a drinking spree. He
was too drunk to realize that his wallet fell on the ground while he was
sleeping and when he woke up, everything was still intact! No one even bothered
to steal his wallet while he was sleeping. :)
Earlier this year, Kokong and I agreed to make Dumaguete as
our destination for my MTA (mandatory time away) from work. August seemed like
the perfect time to do it because of the long weekend and coincidentally,
Silliman University’s founder’s week and their fraternity’s 50th
anniversary celebration is scheduled on the same week. We arrived in Dumaguete
last Friday at around 8 a.m. and since the trip was expected to last for five
days, we had sufficient time to visit all the tourist spots and restaurants
within the city and even traveled to neighboring cities like Siquijor and Valencia. Here are some of the photos from the trip (mostly taken by Kokong because as much as I love taking photos, I sometimes fear that we forget to enjoy being in the actual moment by exerting too much effort to document it.)
Bossing's Tempura
Bahura Resort & Spa in Dauin
Silliman Chapel
Suman at Tsokolate from the local public market
Graffiti Wall at Silliman University
Though we had an outline of things that we wanted to do on this trip, there were several spontaneous activities that we managed to squeeze in getting a couple massage in a newly opened spa and driving an ATV uphill to visit the Japanese shrine that has a breathtaking view of Cebu, Dumaguete and Siquijor islands. And due to the non-stop rainfall in Manila on the day that we were scheduled to fly back, our flight got cancelled so Allie and I got to stay for one more night. That was a cancellation that I definitely did not complain about at all.
So, if you're looking for a weekend destination, I highly recommend Dumaguete City. It's just an hour away by plane from Manila. Both Cebu Pacific and PAL offer two flights everyday. I guarantee that it's a place you'd definitely want to go back to. :)




No comments:
Post a Comment